Saturday, September 27, 2008

Senator Obama's "Achilles Heel"

No, I'm not talking about his wife's tude, nor his long-term but still unclarified relationship with an unrepentant terrorist neighbor. Or his friendship with a destructive pit bull of a former pastor, etc, etc. The midstream media lapdogs are never going to let those issues see much of the light of day - at least not until they rediscover their lost gravitas after the next month or so.

What I'm speaking of is his now elephant-sized personality quirk of not being able to admit previous errors in judgments or positions. According to what I see he apparently has never committed an error. Oh, he's shifted his position on an entire litany of pre-campaign issues, but he was never "wrong", per se. What this tells me, the average American voter, is that the Senator is not secure enough in his own personage to be able to admit mistakes.

You say he hasn't had any mistakes? The man is the father of two teen-age daughters. He's made lots of mistakes. Just ask them. They've seem them all.

OK, that's not fair to do, because they love him and would naturally want to protect him, so lets not bother them with this now. Things are probably stressful enough around the dinner table on those rare occasions they're able to break bread together these days. So unlike many liberals who seem unable to resist inserting digs criticizing the Palin children, I suggest we leave the Obama girls in peace.

It's at this stage I really, really miss [again] my late cousin, a psychiatrist associated with UCSF. I'd love to ask him, "What does it say about an individual who can never admit being wrong"? What could be the state of their mental health? How reliable could they be in an emergency? What if they made a bad decision and there were time to change it? Would they? Could they? Should they? These are things our next president should be comfortable with doing, in my view, if the need arises.

I'm not talking about being weak-willed or making namby-pamby decisions and waffleing all day long afterwards. I'm talking about initiating a strong, well-thought out action and then finding out two hours later some of the basic information relied upon was "junk", and in error. Could my president admit an error in judgement and make changes to mitigate the earlier action? In public? If the press were to find out and factually report on it?

I have strong reservation about the senator's fitfullness for this office because I don't trust his character and find it wanting and weak in the area of self-confidence. That scares me. My experience as a kid on the playground was that most bully's also lacked self-confidence. We don't need another bully in the white house, and that's exactly what I see lurking behind this recent despicable [and also dishonest] stunt.

Cheers

No comments: